Friday, February 27, 2009

Pinewood Derby 2009

Yes! We finally made 5 ounces
Uh oh...we are short 0.2 ounces
The "Black Knight".

Another year, another pinewood derby car. This year we have some experience under our belt and we started earlier. From last year's experience I think we figured out that starting a day before it was due was probably not the best idea. So we started early, bought cool accessories from Hobby Lobby and with some good old fashion father son bonding time Ryan and Riley made this awesome truck. Riley choose a "trophy truck" style and they used one of Riley's old toy sandrails and trophy trucks for some cool accessories and then they drilled in the back for the weight and left them sticking out a bit to look like lights. For the final weigh in Riley could not decide on a name...I wanted to name it BOR (Bond's offroad racing), Riley thought of Race killer and about 100 other variations but when under the gun he took the suggestion of the scout master of "Black Knight". We passed all the specs except for weight...and since Ryan was out of town I had to make an executive decision...we need 0.2 ounces so I decided to glue on the back a weight that I think looks like a license plate and we made the weight. Hopefully they made a winner this time and even if "Black Knight" doesn't win any races he sure looks like a winner.