Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"dirty lake trip"

Sunburned and tired but still smiling on the way home.
Funny faces!
Hayley, Mackenzie, Brynlie and uncle Brandon.
Ryan and I
You cant take a trip without dominos!
Hayley...always smiling and willing to let me take a picture.
Double tubbers...a little scary having that many kids in the water!
All the guys going out for an early morning ride while the water is still good.
Kids getting ready to go tubbing.
Ryan cooking breakfast burritos on the coleman stoves.
Dana and Dusty!
Kaelie and Paige


This is not exactly what it sounds like, for the past month or so uncle Brandon has been planning a "dirty lake trip". Dirty meaning taking it back to the days when they were kids and went to the lake without all the amenities we have today. We had planned to go to Roosevelt to camp but the water level is so high this year there was no primitive camping...and you cant have a dirty lake trip without sleeping in a tent! So Ryan and Brandon drove up to Apache Lake to scout out a spot. In the five years we have had our boat we have never been to Apache Lake (probably because it is a one lane dirt road, starting to realize where dirty lake trip is coming into play?). So we got up there Friday afternoon and it was great...there was not to many people and we could pull the boat right up on shore. The kids played in the water and tubed all weekend. We cooked on the old coleman green camp stoves, Brandon, Ryan and Dusty reminised all weeked about the old days with Ray and Kriss and drank Dr. Thunder (generic Dr. Pepper) like it was going out of style!

The funniest thing all weekend had to be Paige (sorry Pager, I love you anyway!). So she is not exactly the typical camper...she really does not like to be dirty and there were ants everywhere. Because the ants were in full force you had to walk quick or they would be all over your feet. When we went to bed she would not sleep on her bedding, she would only sleep on the air mattress, so Ryan traded places with her, so then all night and I mean all night long she was flaying around saying "they are all over me, turn on the light". She also said she is never sleeping in a tent again and that she wanted to drive home right that second. She even wanted to lay directly on top of me so that the ants wouldn't get on her (there was not actually any ants in our tent but I she sure thought there was). A few of her famous quotes for the weekend: "Not a chance" and "I don't think so" both said in perfect Paige attitude, I had told her to put on her clothes that she wore the day before so she didnt get her pj dirty before bed and she says "not a chance,I already wore those"! There were some public bathrooms close to our camp spot so I took Paige up there a few times to go to the bathroom. She sat down to go to the bathroom one of the times and there were little were bugs crawling on the ground and she started screaming like someone was after her and went running out of the bathroom with her clothes at her ankles with huge alligator tears (it was hysterical because they were only little stink bugs but so sad because she was really terrified). I guess camping is not going to be Paige's favorte vacation:-(!

All in all it was a great trip and our kids had a good time!

1 comment:

Mendy said...

I love the dirty lake trip...but I'm with Paige. I'd be dreaming all night of ants too! We've never taken the boat to Rosevelt either, that dirt road always kept us away. Glad you had fun and that Paige survived!