Monday, March 1, 2010

Ryan's injury...




I took this pic when he got home...after the stitches

poor guy...that had to have been miserable

Every year Ryan takes a trip to Colorado with some customers and his brother to go snowmobiling for a week. He looks forward to this trip every year and has fallen in love with snowmobiling I think. They left Thursday and Friday mid day I received a call from him....hysterical! He had wrecked on the snowmobile and was hurt and obviously in shock by the sound of his voice. He called to let me know that Brandon was driving him to the hospital (which was an 1.5 hours a away..AHHH)....I was so scared. I have never felt so helpless my entire life. Being 12 hours away and not being able to see his leg and take care of him or comfort him...I was a wreck. Ryan does not do well with hospitals or pain medication...not sure why but the thought of going to the hospital was probably worse than the actual injury for him. He had hit a rock on the snowmobile and flew over the handlebars catching his shin on the handlebar which ripped through 2 layers of clothing and then hit the shin and ripped the skin back all the way to the bone. The hospital called this a "blunt trauma wound". The had to close multiple layers of skin since it was down to the bone and since it it was not a clean laceration the scar and stitches look horrible. Once it was all said and done he was fine and happy it was over. The next day I waited for a call saying he was coming home or laying around the cabin but I didn't hear from him all day and of course what was I thinking....hummm every bad thing possible of course. Anyway he finally called that night and he was fine...and guess where he had been all day, you guessed snowmobiling....whatever men have no clue! A little duck tape on his snow pants and he was good to go. I could have beaten him with a stick I was so mad but all in all I am happy he is okay.
BTW - He got his stitches out 2 weeks later 2 weeks and 3 days later he went snowboarding and split open the scar again and hurt his tail bone...anyone else think he is getting to old for this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you poor thing. I sutured a lac like this as a med student in Minnesota. The guy was cutting house siding on his leg with a circular saw. He sawed right through his muscle. It looked like a really nice cut of filet mignon. Too bad you split it back open. Your scar will be that much "better". We're excited to be home in 3 months. Miss you guys.
Mike